Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pentecost 9 - C

You’re So Martha

Introduction

Where do you find God?

Not, actually, where, but how… hmmm… what am I trying to say…. You see, we all feel God’s presence in the world at different times, and perhaps I am trying to ask what you think that feels like, or how you find it…

There are many different ways to experience God. Some people find that being all alone and quiet help them to feel God’s presence while some people find God through helping others.  Some people find God in a church service and others while singing or listening to music.

But what are we talking about when we say “experience God” what does that feel like?

I think there are a lot of different answers to that as well. When my first daughter was born she was born with the cord wrapped around her neck, she was rushed away to neo-natal intensive care before I even really saw her. Then I spent hours wondering if she would live or die.

Late, late into the night I was lying on a cot in the hospital when it seemed a voice came to me in my head that said, “Everything will be ok” and I suddenly fell asleep.

To me, that moment was a feeling of God being present in my life. It is not the only way I have ever felt God and for each person it is different. But that certainly is one way… a feeling of peace, a feeling of hope, a feeling of being cared for that overwhelms you and makes you feel that everything is going to be all right.

Have you felt that? Have you felt God in other ways? How?

Genesis 18:1-10a

The LORD appeared to Abraham by the oaks of Mamre, as he sat at the entrance of his tent in the heat of the day. He looked up and saw three men standing near him. When he saw them, he ran from the tent entrance to meet them, and bowed down to the ground.

He said, "My lord, if I find favor with you, do not pass by your servant. Let a little water be brought, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree. Let me bring a little bread, that you may refresh yourselves, and after that you may pass on--since you have come to your servant." So they said, "Do as you have said."

And Abraham hastened into the tent to Sarah, and said, "Make ready quickly three measures of choice flour, knead it, and make cakes." Abraham ran to the herd, and took a calf, tender and good, and gave it to the servant, who hastened to prepare it. Then he took curds and milk and the calf that he had prepared, and set it before them; and he stood by them under the tree while they ate.

They said to him, "Where is your wife Sarah?" And he said, "There, in the tent." Then one said, "I will surely return to you in due season, and your wife Sarah shall have a son."

Unawares

Have you ever heard the statement, “entertaining angels unawares”? It comes from the Bible, Hebrews chapter 13 to be exact, and it is in a section where they are writing to the followers of Jesus and giving advice – be nice to strangers, you never know when they might be angels…

One of the strangest and perhaps creepiest experiences I ever had in a church happened when I was just a student. I was working for the year in a big church in Ottawa, and one weekend we were having a youth sleepover. Now, the doors were all locked, the kids were all in the gym with the leaders, and we were having a snack.

Suddenly this homeless guy comes walking into the gym. No one knows who he is or how he got there. What we decided to do was to invite him to share our snack… Kool-Aid and cookies if I recall… and then we talked to him for a while and he went on his way.

Later when I talked to another leader we both thought of this saying, about how a homeless man appears behind locked doors, about angels in unexpected places, you know, all that sort of stuff.

We encounter God when we encounter people. We really do. Jesus suggested that we should care for the last and least, because when we do, we find God. Abraham cared for the strangers who walked out of the desert and was blessed with a child.

Perhaps you have also heard that old adage, it is better to give than to receive. I think we say that when we don’t get enough Christmas presents… but there is something to the idea… and it is this: the encounter with the divine, with the good feelings, with the love that is God happens when we care for other people. When we love, we feel love.

This is one of the strongest ways we feel God in our lives, by allowing God to work through us and therefore filling us with love.

Psalm 52 (VU p. 777)

Luke 10:38-42

Now as they went on their way, he entered a certain village, where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to what he was saying.

But Martha was distracted by her many tasks; so she came to him and asked, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her then to help me."

But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her."

Different Strokes

Jesus has an interesting relationship with these two women. They show up a few times, he is always over at their house. You might remember that he also brings their brother Lazarus back from the dead.

We also see this personality trait over and over in the two sisters. Mary is the one who listens and thinks, probably paints and plays music too. Martha is the one who works cleaning and cooking and organizing.

There are all different kinds of people, we all know that. For example there are extroverts and there are introverts. What that really means is that an extrovert will get energy from being around people and an introvert will get energy being alone.

Extroverts can walk right up to anyone and start a conversation. I envy them that. I am an introvert. People who are introverted tend to think about things deeply before talking, so it is harder to speak off the cuff.

But the point is, one way is not right, nor is one way wrong… they are just different.

This passage in Luke is the closest you will ever hear to Jesus getting upset with Martha. But even still, he does not say anything against her, or tell her she is doing the wrong thing. She is being Martha, and that is what she needs to do.

Do you feel more fulfilled reading a book or cooking a meal? Do you like to walk outdoors or go to a movie? These are all things that each of us find affects us in different ways. The idea of life is to recognize what brings you happiness, what fills your soul, and do it.

You see, we are not going to find the presence of God in things that drain the life right out of us. We all have to do those things from time to time. But they are not the places that bring us strength and a feeling of God restoring our souls.

Now, that is not to say that God is not present, that God does not give you strength to get through those things, but I am talking about the way God renews, restores, and refreshes us… we need to be doing things that bring us joy. And for each of us, those might be different.

A Poem

I read this poem and it is simple, sort of a prayer, but it talks about the parts of a day and how they are all different and yet, we find God in the midst of each.  It is by a United Church minister, Greta Vosper

A sky, streaked with the promise of day,
and I am called to anticipate all that might be.
The heat of the day heavy upon me,
and I am challenged to acknowledge
the responsibilities I hold.
The shade of the afternoon, like grace, soothes me,
and I am offered a reflection of my own rich gifts.
The cool of the evening
set in the midst of a candlelit heaven,
and I am awed by the fulfillment of another day.
We open ourselves as those who seek the holy 

You see, we know all about how there are different times and different situations. I think that we can even recognize that we feel closer to God, that we see the holy, in some moments more easily than in others. I guess I think we need to think about those things and try to be open to those feelings.

Conclusion

You may have recognized that my sermon was actually about two things, where we find God, and what we find.

And even within that I contradicted myself. Truth is we find God everywhere… in moments when we are in pain, or afraid, but also in moments of happiness or love.

But what I want you to consider for today, and think about as you leave here, is that we need to find moments where God gives us energy, moments that make us happy, moments that bring strength. If we do not have those, then the hard times that surely come upon us all will be harder.

So what makes your heart happy? Is it fishing, painting, music, reading, cooking, cleaning, building, sleeping?

Do those things… don’t ignore them and say you have to much work to do. We need the fun things too.
Because the answer to my “what does God feel like” question is that God feels good. God is the feeling of love and hope and peace and security and happiness that brings a spring to our step. And we need those feelings.


Once upon a time Sunday was a day simply for the things that made us happy, for resting and family, and food, I invite you to try this week to focus on the things that restore your soul. It will make it a better week no matter what you face.

No comments: